JCPL partners with Jefferson County Emergency Management and County administration to reopen safely and provide special services in the event of a disaster. Library staff are trained in disaster relief and first aid. When disaster hits, the library supports Jeffersonians by providing:
- Public education about preparing for disasters and being safe.
- Reliable local information, such as the location of shelters, sandbag locations, and which stores and services are open.
- Cooling stations and places to charge your devices.
- Entertainment for children and families.
- Distribution of ice, hot meals, and other relief supplies.
- Family reunification.
- IT and communications support for FEMA and insurance companies.
During a disaster, library hours, staff and services may change. We will make sure the library is safe to use and can be acessed by road before opening for emergency operations.